Studying in Korea

홈으로 이동> Studying in Korea > Life in Korea > Immigration Guide

Immigration Guide

a. Foreigner Registration
   Those Eligible for Foreigner Registration
   · Foreigners intending to stay in Korea for more than 90 days after entry
   · A former Korean who have acquired a foreign nationality after losing the Korean one or a foreigners born in Korea, who are given
   residence status and intend to stay for more than 90 days.
   · Exceptions to Foreigner Registration - The following are exempt from registering as foreigners
   - Those carrying out Diplomacy (A-1), Official business (A-2), or Conventions/Agreements (A-3) and their family members
   - Those undertaking diplomatic, industrial, or other important duties for the national security, their family members, and other foreigners
   found to be unnecessary to register as foreigners by the Minister of Justice
   - Canadian nationals who visit Korea without a visa and plan to stay less than six months
b. Reporting changes of details on Foreigner Registration Card
   Reporting changes of particulars of Foreigner Registration card
   · If any of the following happens to registered foreigners, the changes to the registration details must be reported to the local Immigration
   Office within 14 days from its occurrence

   Changes that must be reflected on Foreigner Registration card
   · Name, sex, date of birth or nationality
   · Passport number, date of issuance or expiration date
   · Details of the organization (including name changes) that Cultural Arts (D-1), Overseas Study (D-2), General Training (D-4) status holders belong to
   · Details of the organizations (including name changes) that Journalism (D-5), religious Affairs (D-6), Supervisory Intra-company Transfer (D-7),
   Corporate investment (D-8), Trade Management (D-9) status holders belong to

   How to report changes of details on Foreigner Registration card
   Report to the local Immigration office with the necessary documents. It may be made in person, or through an appointed agent.

   Required documents
   · Passport and Foreigner Registration card
   · Application form of Report on changes of particulars of Foreigner Registration card
   · Documents proving place of residence in Korea (i.e. rental agreement, proof of provided accommodation, mail notification of expiration of sojourn period, public utility bill)
   · a color photograph

   If a registered foreigner does not report the aforementioned changes to the details of the foreigner registration card within 14 days of the
   change,he/she will be considered to be in breach of Immigration Act Article 35, and will be fined accordingly.
d. Extension of stay
   Permission for Extension of stay
   In case of expiration of permission of stay, the foreigner shall receive permission for extension of stay if he/she desires to stay
   continuously in Korea
e. Change status of stay
Foreigners must receive permission to change of status of their stay if they want to participate in new activities which is not relevant or permitted for current status

* For detailed information, please visit the Korea Immigration Service website. (
* Source: Korea Immigration Service (